Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Monday, Monday

With just 2 days to go before Pickle and Picklessister go back to school (YIPPEE!), I thought I had better fulfill my promise of going to town so that they could play in the playground there. I thought I would be able to blog lots of lovely photos of the day too. Sadly, unlike my kids who had LOADS of energy, my camera battery DIDN'T and died after taking 2 photos.




It did however manage to take this photo of the lovely 'Willow' who we met in the Sensory gardens and who according to his/her name tag is 'The Abbey Gardens Cat'. No-one tell my cat for heavens sake or he'll be off on the next train, as he would get even more attention there than he does at school.
Pickle and Picklessister played for over an hour on the swings and slides, whilst I sat shivering in the drizzle on the tiniest seat EVER, cursing the weatherman who forecast SUN and NO RAIN. I was remembering my childhood there playing on the metal maypole, 2 fast roundabouts and high climbing frame, all situated in the hardest concrete known to man. We were so much tougher then.

After the playground and the ruins and the rose gardens we went to nose around the Cathedral, where Pickle declared LOUDLY that the many silver cups and plates on display were 'BORING MUMMY'. A hasty exit was made to Cafe Nero where we sheltered from the drizzle (at least that's my excuse).

Now there is just one day left before Picklesister starts MIDDLE SCHOOL. I am having dreams every night that she will be late and miss her bus. Roll on tomorrow.

5 comments:

Rosie said...

Picklesmum I'm relieved I am not the only parent celebrating Back to School. Hope the little pickles are looking forward to it.

PS You didn't trust a weatherman did you? Afterall they said 2007 would be the hottest summer on record!

Her indoors said...

Did you bump into Ruby, she was in the Abbey Gardens too? Good luck to Picklesister at her new middle school . BTW ~ Ingenious is right - I remember what the weatherman said too. I even bought a summer top ;-D

todaysdaze said...

The Abbey gardens is beautiful and I have fond memories of it as a child. I used to take #1 & 2 there all the time when they were little (weather permitting) until July 4th 1999. It was a really hot summers day, the wimbledon mens final was on TV, Posh & Becks were getting married and #1 was playing golf. #2 and his friend (both 7 years old) were playing on the the playground, when #2 got his leg trapped in the roundabout. Thankfully a very kind "dad" lifted him off the roundabout and someone else called an ambulance. #2 had a very nasty broken leg, and his friend went into shock. I suffered with flash backs of the accident for several weeks.
I have only been back to the Abbey Gardens once since that day, and that was with a structural engineer who advised that the roundabout was dangerous because it failed a british kite mark. That particular roundabout has since been removed from play areas all over Britain, so at least no one else will suffer from the same injury.

Picklesmum said...

Todayz -I'm Sorry. I never knew anyone that did actually get hurt there. That sounds really scary. Was it the metal open type roundabout? Sounds like I had a lucky escape there.

Christina S said...

Hello Willow! I wonder if he / she actually lives in the Abbey Gardens - I've always assumed he/she lives nearby somewhere.