I was reading a post on todaysdaze blog this morning before we left for Bury on the train. It reminded me of weekends gone by spent (badly) rollerskating at Rollerbury.
The building is now home to a fitness centre and childrens indoor play area, but what was the main entrance has just been abandoned.
It makes quite a sad image.


8 comments:
It looks like it will disappear for ever if the local plan for the redevelopment of Station Hill goes ahead... see:
http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/live/Station-Hill-and-Tayfen-Road-Concept-Statement.cfm
I never went to Rollerbury. And I've never noticed that old entrance either.
I picked up a leaflet at the station the other day about the station redevelopment. Bit shabby round there - it can only make it better IMO.
Thank you for the photo Pickles mum. It looks really shabby and run down :(
The last time I came home for a visit the Rollerbury sign was still there...wonder where it went.
Is there still a fast food place next door and what used to be Brazilias on the other side?
If they are going to re develope it I wonder what they will do with fitness center!!
You've been blog tagged. See my blog for details.
Picklesmum - I spent many an evening skating at RollerBury, they were good days. Before it opened, in 1981 I think it was, we used to go to Stowmarket on a Sunday evening. It's sad to see it in this state, but as 21CM says, this will all change in the near future.
Paul - Can't believe you've done it again! Red Card!
Yours sincerely. Blog Police.
hoffy
I take it this is a bloggers "card" on behalf of the blog police. citizens arrest in blog land.
Using the blog police sign off carries stiff pentalties,but seeing as you ware one of those swimming hats a caution is all thats required.
Or maybe a clip round the ear would be more in line.
I too remember the opening of rollerbury, the que to get in, and adie linton on the disco. what ever happened to him LOL.
Colin - You're getting very clued up on this blog Police thing!
Funny thing - I saw Adie Linton only last week in town. He still does discos around town. Small place Bury.
Picklesmum...where have you gone? Come back, it's been a week!
Post a Comment