Friday, July 27, 2007

Donating Blood



Today, for the first time in over 12 years, I donated blood. I realise that hundreds of thousands of people do this without fuss, EVERY day, but it meant alot to me as the last time I tried to give blood it was not a resounding success. I fainted whilst the blood was actually being taken, then was sick on the way home! Strangely enough they weren't too keen on me trying again so I left it. Picklesdad has donated every 4 months for the last few years, and now having had 2 daughters both by caesarian section I felt this should be a walk in the park.
We all went to the local village hall, and the nurses were really kind and reassuring. Pickle watched her Dad's blood being taken and Picklessister sat with me. It was nice to have her there until I realised she was sketching me, as I was lying on the bed with the blood being taken from my arm. Very comforting...NOT! As was the lady who fainted right next to my bed!
It all went smoothly for me and it was nice to have a lie down in the middle of the afternoon, especially when I was 'forced' to have 4 cups of squash, a packet of crisps AND 6 biscuits before they would let me leave.
I really hope I have done a little bit towards saving someones life today.
I am booked in for the next time in December!

2 comments:

Her indoors said...

Good on you Picklesmum. Syringes & blood, I think I am fainting already ;-?

todaysdaze said...

Good for you Picklesmum.
I used to give blood when I lived in Bury. I had 2 fairly large withdrawals from the "blood bank" and felt it was my duty to make deposits. I also had a friend (sadly no longer with us) who had leukemia and needed transplants regularly.
Now I live in the states and they don't WANT my blood. Something about BSE and CJD! Typical as they BUY your blood here and you can give every 2 or 3 months.